[FASTCGI] Long delay *after* PHP processing

Felix E. Klee felix.klee at inka.de
Sun Feb 6 04:59:36 EST 2011

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Felix E. Klee <felix.klee at inka.de>
wrote:
> Eventually, one of the requests will take almost exactly a minute to
> respond. Yet the PHP script that is executed with FastCGI [1] is dead
> simple:
>
>  <?php sleep(2)

Just got another reply from Bluehost:

  "Our fastcgi setup works just fine with sleep, just not with the
  amount of sleep time you are using in your loop. If you want to run
  this then you unfortunately will not be able to use php5(fast-cgi)."

I don't believe that this is true. In fact I was able to reproduce the
problem with a sleep time of just one second. But if it is true that
FastCGI on Bluehost has issues with "sleep", what may be the technical
explanation?