[FASTCGI] FastCGIExternalServer, path used actually has to exist

Alex Cartwright alexc223 at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 3 09:40:10 EDT 2010

Sorry, forgot to reply to all instead, here is the message again!

Ah ok, I've removed the Options line now, thanks for that.

Apache error log was showing me the following if the directory did not exist:

       File does not exist: /home/foobar/fcgi

and when the file did not exist:

       File does not exist: /home/foobar/fcgi/php53-fpm

However, I have got it working now with a different configuration, but
I still have some issues I'd like to discuss - here is my new config:

<VirtualHost *:80>
       ServerName foo.example.com

       SuexecUserGroup foobar foobar

       ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/vhosts/foo.example.com_error.log
       CustomLog /var/log/apache2/vhosts/foo.example.com_access.log combined
       DocumentRoot /home/foobar/domains/foo.example.com/public

       ## FastCGI + PHP-FPM
       AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .php
       Action application/x-httpd-php /fcgi-bin/php-fpm
       Alias /fcgi-bin/php-fpm /fcgi-extsrvs-phpfpm

       <Location /fcgi-bin/php-fpm>
               Order Deny,Allow
               Deny from all
               Allow from env=REDIRECT_STATUS
       </Location>

       FastCGIExternalServer /fcgi-extsrvs-phpfpm -socket
/var/opt/php53/run/www.sock -user foobar -group foobar

       <Directory /home/foobar/domains/foo.example.com/public>
               Options FollowSymLinks
               AllowOverride AuthConfig FileInfo Limit Options=Indexes

               Order Deny,Allow
               Allow from all
       </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

This works just fine, but if I change 'Alias /fcgi-bin/php-fpm
/fcgi-extsrvs-phpfpm' to 'Alias /fcgi-bin/php-fpm
/fcgi-extsrvs/phpfpm' and 'FastCGIExternalServer /fcgi-extsrvs-phpfpm
...' to 'FastCGIExternalServer /fcgi-extsrvs/phpfpm ....' (note the -
replace with a / in fcgi-extsrvs-phpfpm) then I get the following
Apache errors:

       File does not exist: /fcgi-extsrvs

Doing that simple change (replacing a - with /) results in a 404
error. Is a slash not allowed? That is something which has confused
me.

Regards