[FASTCGI] License Issue: Request to change License

roger at bufferoverflow.ch roger at bufferoverflow.ch
Wed Jun 16 07:27:38 EDT 2010

Dear Bill Snapper, Dear fastcgi-maintainer & developers

As already mentioned on Debian Bug report #466117 [1] the fcgi-2.4.0
library contains tree files (libfcgi/os_win32.c, libfcgi/os_unic.c,
include/fcgios.h) with the following license condition:

*  Copyright (c) 1996 Open Market, Inc.
*  All rights reserved.
*
*  This file contains proprietary and confidential information and
*  remains the unpublished property of Open Market, Inc. Use,
*  disclosure, or reproduction is prohibited except as permitted by
*  express written license agreement with Open Market, Inc.
*
*  Bill Snapper
*  snapper at openmarket.com

I currently do not believe, that most of the users of that library have
"written license agreement with Open Market, Inc." for using the library.
Therefore it is forbidden to use that library from a legal perspective.

As long as I read on Wikipedia website [2], the company Open Market Inc.
does not longer exists and so from my perspective it is unclear who to
copyright holder of the mentioned files is.

I would encourage you to release these files under the license provided
within LICENSE.TERMS file which is part of the distribution and also
available on the fastcgi.com website [3].

If there is no written license agreement, the alternatives for users
might be using another library (e.g. http://www.nongnu.org/fastcgipp/).

Could you please release these files under other license conditions?

Thank you & Best Regards

Roger

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenMarket
[3] http://www.fastcgi.com/drupal/node/6?q=node/14