[FASTCGI] undefined reference to `FCGX_GetParam'

Doru Georgescu headset001 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 12 06:08:54 EDT 2010

Can't edit links on Ubuntu server 8.04 LTS. Apache and apache fastcgi module installed as packages.

I installed fastcgi for c from here:
http://www.fastcgi.com/dist/fcgi.tar.gz
with:
./configure
make
make install
as it says in the ~/fcgi-2.4.0/README file. I redone these with sudo because make install didn't work otherwise.

I got errors when compiling an example:
g++ echo-cpp.cpp
/tmp/cc45IwvI.o: In function `gstdin(FCGX_Request*, char**)':
echo-cpp.cpp:(.text+0x1f9): undefined reference to `FCGX_GetParam'
echo-cpp.cpp:(.text+0x24b): undefined reference to `FCGX_GetParam'
/tmp/cc45IwvI.o: In function `main':
echo-cpp.cpp:(.text+0x36e): undefined reference to `FCGX_Init'
echo-cpp.cpp:(.text+0x38c): undefined reference to `FCGX_InitRequest'
[...]

I tried to specify the libraries on g++ command line, but it said it can't find the file. There might be other configs, but they are not mentioned here: http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.5.0/gcc/Link-Options.html#Link-Options and they should not take precedence over command line parameters. I even copied libraries from ~/fcgi-2.4.0/libfcgi/.libs/ and /usr/local/lib/ in /usr/lib/, where I found cgi libraries, still the file was not found. I tried to Makefile again but I discovered that the script is not compatible with bash, it has blanks before and after = in variable assignments, and there may be other differences. Of course, the libraries have not been tested on Linux (http://www.fastcgi.com/devkit/doc/fcgi-devel-kit.htm#S2).

I came to the conclusion that the libraries may be badly compiled during install. If you have any idea please let me know. Maybe I can compile a few basic libraries by hand, if you show me the options for gcc.

I apologize for the fact that I'm new at c under Linux, but I hope that I can use fastcgi on such a widespread distribution even if I'm not a developer of fastcgi.

Doru