[FASTCGI] A junior question

Rob rclemley at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 18:11:07 EDT 2010

 When you write a FastCGI app, you make a FastCGI server. The webserver
is your client.

Your FastCGI app listens for requests from clients (the webserver),
processes the request, and returns the result. That means you have a
server, ie a FastCGI server.

To my knowledge, FastCGI apps cannot function as a standalone webserver
unless there is a separate module written which can receive and process
HTTP requests from a web client (browser). There is no HTTP server
module included with the FastCGI libraries.

It is entirely possible to produce a FastCGI executable that can also
function as an HTTP server, but you have to write the HTTP server part
and design the app so that at some point, the application part of the
code can work whether the requests are coming from FastCGI clients or
HTTP clients.