[FASTCGI] save a log

Jeremy Sandell jlsandell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 12:37:10 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 5:22 AM, Doru Georgescu <headset001 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Please help me with another small but important issue:
>
> I want to log my fast cgi application's activity to a log file. I met two
> problems:
>
> 1. How to write to disk.
> I found FCGI_ToFile from fcgi_stdio.h on
> http://www.fastcgi.com/devkit/doc/fcgi-devel-kit.htm, and it did not work
> - the identifier is not defined. I found FCGI_ToFILE in fcgi_stdio.h, but it
> did no work - some conversion can not be performed.
>
> 2. How to write to /var/log/myapp.log.
> Only root can write to /var/log/ and to most /var/log/* files. I just
> disabled suexec for security reasons, following apache's site advice. Should
> I enable it just for the sake of logging? Should I write the log in my
> default cgi directory, /usr/lib/cgi-bin/? What security risks would be posed
> by each of these solutions?
>
> Because I am not using FCGI_Finish, I am now logging to apache's error log,
> which is a weird solution.
>
> What do you think is the best way to log from fast cgi?
>
> Thank you for your help,
> Doru

1. AFAIK, you should be able to write to disk just like from any other
process.
2. There are a number of ways to handle this, if you really prefer logging
to /var/log. For example, you can create a file in /var/log/ as root, and
change the ownership of the file so that your fast cgi user can write to it
(e.g., sudo touch /var/log/example_log && chown YOURUSER.YOURGROUP
/var/log/example_log). Or you could (again, as root) create a subdirectory
within /var/log, and change the user/group ownership of that subdirectory to
allow your fcgi write access. Of course, the easiest method is to just log
somewhere that your user/group already has access to. I would not recommend
elevating your process to superuser just for the sake of logging, but I'm
paranoid. (:

HTH,
Jeremy Sandell