[FASTCGI] excessive dynamic application instances with mod_fastcgi

Anders Geffen anders.geffen at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 22 17:21:42 EDT 2009

I am developing dynamic applications with mod_fastcgi-2.4.6 with Apache 2.2..11. Some of my fastcgi invocations are fairly long running, and I am seeing a behavior that I do not understand. While my dynamic application is processing a request, mod_fastcgi starts up additional instances of the application - one instance approximately every 3 seconds – even if there are no other pending http requests. It starts up new instances until maxClassProcesses is reached or until the request is complete, whichever comes first. It seems to me that mod_fastcgi should only start application instances if there is one or more pending request that is waiting for an application instance, or perhaps it could create a small (configurable) number of idle instances so that they will be available when needed.

Is there any way to configure mod_fastcgi to create application instances only if there are pending requests, or to tell it to create at most n idle application instances (where n is less than maxClassProcesses)?