[FASTCGI] Binary Data

Saikat Kanjilal sxk1969 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 11 00:12:33 EDT 2009

Hi Jay:
Thanks for the response

the fastcgi application returns a header that tells about the content. It consists of the content-type and the size.
It would look something like this:
 print "Content-type: text/html\r\n\r\n";

I already understand this and am using the above line
in my program, however what I am asking is whether I need
to set the Content-type to text/html or something else when
returning font or glyph type binary data

2) Are there limitations in fastcgi where I could only send back chunks of the data at a time (if its a large font/glyph)?

Not in fastcgi. The limitations are more
practical. Sending really really large files tends to fail. A font is
probably not going to be a problem.

Again just so I'm clear I'm not sending back any files, I am sending
back a stream containing a character buffer containing the glyph
and font data.

Thanks for the response, I use the browser only as an example, my client could be any application and not necessarily a browser,what i am really wondering about is how to return this binary font/glyph data that my fastcgi application generates back to the caller (caller can be a flex/air/php/perl application or anything else), meaning:

1) How can I set the mime type correctly in my fastcgi application so that any of the clients mentioned above  can receive and embed this binary font/glyph data into their documents.
the fastcgi application returns a header that tells about the content. It consists of the content-type and the size.

It would look something like this:
 print "Content-type: text/html\r\n\r\n";
        print "Hello, World.";
There are many example on the web if you use google. Search for 'content-type' and cgi. There's no difference between what is done for fastcgi and cgi.