[FASTCGI] low performance with multiple cpu (compare to cgi)

Martin Kofahl m.kofahl at gmx.net
Thu Jun 4 15:40:14 EDT 2009

Hi,
I wonder about that a process (it's mapserv actually) compiled and
configured as fast-cgi is much more slower than running as common cgi in
apache2. When testing performance with apaches ab with 20 concurrent
requests, I found out that there's only one mapserv-fcgi process created
by fcgid and attatched to one httpd while there are a couple of
mapserv-cgi processes with an httpd for each one. Even more suspicious:
the fcgi configurazion uses one cpu at 80% but the cgi configuration
takes all 4 cpus at 100%. fcgi configuration is "FastCgiConfig
-initial-env PROJ_LIB=/usr/local/share/proj -initial-env
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/pgsql/lib -appConnTimeout 60
-idle-timeout 60 -init-start-delay 1 -minProcesses 2 -maxClassProcesses
20 -startDelay 5" and fcgi appears to work in general, because the
mapserv-fcgi process doesn't die but processes all requests ony by one.

Thanks for any hints.

Martin