[FASTCGI] difference between apache's mod_fcgi, mod_cgid, and mod_fcgid?

James Robinson jlrobins at socialserve.com
Mon Dec 7 13:59:54 EST 2009

On Dec 7, 2009, at 1:30 PM, Tom Bowden wrote:

> Is the difference between these modules just a matter of version?  I
> am using Apache 2.2+ server -- and it uses mod_fcgid... from what i
> can tell the big difference is that the configuration keywords are
> difference ( FcgidAuthenticator, FcgidAuthorizer,
> FcgidAccessChecker, FcgidWrapper, etc.).
>
> tom

If this is the adoption of the fcigd I'm thinking of, then, internal
differences will be:

	* no remote-server fastcgi support.

	* 1 to 1 relationship between fascgi process and local domain socket
for apache -> fastcgi communication, implying that mod_fcgid knows
which exact factcgi process took too long [ 'FcgidBusyTimeout' at http://httpd.apache.org/mod_fcgid/mod/mod_fcgid.html
  ], so that it can then kill off that exact (runaway) process.
mod_fastcgi uses a 'one socket, many listening fastcgis all blocking
on accept()' model, so that it can't know which exact backend process
was used to field a runaway request.

----
James Robinson
Socialserve.com