[FASTCGI] Building mod_fastcgi as a DSO on Windows

Will Hawes wdhawes at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 06:26:58 EDT 2009

Having had various issues with binary releases of mod_fastcgi.dll, I
thought I'd have a go at building my own from source to see if that
makes any difference. I'm trying to build mod_fastcgi for Apache 2.2
on Windows.

I've downloaded the mod_fastcgi sources from
http://www.fastcgi.com/dist/mod_fastcgi-SNAP-0811090952.tar.gz and am
following the instructions in the INSTALL.AP2 file under "WIN":

    To build mod_fastcgi as a project you'll need M$ VC++ 6.0 (the Makefile
    hasn't been updated for AP2 support):

    Open the mod_fastcgi project file with the VC++.

    Edit the Project for your configuration (update the Preprocessor
    and the Link paths). The default assumes a complete Apache2
    installation in /Apache2.

    Build mod_fastcgi.so.

When trying to open the project file in Visual C++ 6.0 Standard
Edition, I get the following message:

"A corresponding workspace
'C:\work\mod_fastcgi-SNAP-0811090952\Win32\mod_fastcgi-AP2.dsw' has
been found and will be opened instead of the specified project
'C:\work\mod_fastcgi-SNAP-0811090952\Win32\mod_fastcgi-AP2.dsp'.

Note: If you wish to create a workspace containing only the specified
project, you can do so by creating a blank workspace with the
Workspaces tab on the New dialog and then adding the project to that
workspace using Insert Projects into Workspace."

Clicking OK results in another message:

"C:\work\mod_fastcgi-SNAP-0811090952\Win32\mod_fastcgi-AP2.dsp

This makefile was not generated by Developer Studio.

Continuing will create a new Developer Studio project to wrap this
makefile. You will be prompted to save after the new project has been
created.

Do you want to continue?"

If I choose to continue I am then unable to set preprocessor paths etc
or build the newly created project. I'm not familiar with MSVC but it
appears the newly generated project is empty. The build instructions
don't mention any of this - aside from using Windows, am I doing
something wrong?